11.10.2009

Perspectives

Today, I received a facebook message from one of the international staff that I worked at camp with 6 or 7 summers ago. The last line of the message said "I might have only been in Kanata for a summer but the camp has changed my perspective in many things and the camp has a special position in my heart."

I often hear people talk about the life-changing aspect of camp, but I rarely think about the way that camp has changed my perspective on things. Because camp has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, I tend to think about the specific experiences I have had, the things I have learned, or the ways I have grown. I often forget about the fact that, had I not spent my summers at camp, there are many things I would not have been exposed to that do have an impact on the way I view the world and my perspective on things.

Having the opportunity to spend a summer working with international staff, or as a camper, have international counselors, gave me an opportunity to get a glimpse into cultures I most likely never would have experienced otherwise. Through camp I've known staff from England, Russia, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Scotland, France, Israel... and probably a few other places I've forgotten at the moment.

I've worked with people that I have absolutely nothing in common with--except for our love of camp. There is little chance I ever would have interacted with them outside of camp, but I am so thankful that camp has given me the opportunity to find friendships in unexpected places.

I have learned quite a bit about celiac disease, between having a co-counselor with it, and the gluten-free week we've hosted at camp for the past several years. A camper with cystic fibrosis compelled me to learn more about that. Panic attacks, eating disorders, and diabetes--all things I am a little more familiar with because of camp.

My perspective on the importance of kids experiencing nature, on our educational systems, and on leadership have all been heavily influenced by my camp experiences. My views on so many topics have been either been expanded or developed because of camp. The variety of people I have interacted with through camp--whether staff, campers, or parents--has forced me to give serious thought to topics and issues I probably would have never given a second thought to, if not for camp.

Camp has given me a broader filter to run my life experiences through, and for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment