6.07.2010

Memories

Staff week at Camp Kanata started today. This is the first staff week since 2003 that I haven't been at, and while I'm enjoying staff training and all of the preparations for Finley Day Camp--which starts in one week!--I would be lying if I said that I didn't spend a lot of time today thinking about what's going on over at Kanata.

As we've been going through day camp training over the past few weeks, my mind has often drifted back to Kanata. As excited as I am for this summer at FDC, it is hard to believe I won't be spending this summer walking the familiar paths and singing the songs and cheers I know so well. At our association day camp rally this past weekend, the Kanata director led everyone in "Vista"--one of the songs sung in the dining hall every Friday night--and so many Friday nights in the Kanata dining hall flashed through my head--standing on the benches, singing til my voice hurt, a little relieved that I was going to get to do my laundry and sleep the next day, but also a little sad because another week of camp was over.

Around this time of year, I always start measuring time by what is going on at camp--it isn't 1:30, it's rest period. This year I have a new schedule, and a new camp, but I know every year as summer rolls around, a piece of my heart will go back to Kanata and the memories of Makeover Mondays, daisy cheers, Friday night campfires, late nights hanging out in camp store, hours spent by the lake, and the best summers of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment