2.27.2010

Investing in People

This morning, I ran into my ALL TIME favorite camper. I know, I know, you aren't supposed to have favorites. But I do. This camper was in my cabin her first summer at camp, when she was 7 years old or so, and I had her several times after that, both in the summer and at mini-camps. We just clicked really well that first summer, and I've seen her enough throughout the years that we have maintained a great relationship. She is 12 now, and almost as tall as me, and seeing her this morning MADE MY DAY! Actually, probably my week!

We had so much fun reminiscing on past summers and camp memories, and I loved getting a chance to hear about how middle school is going for her and to catch up on life a little bit. As we were talking and laughing about different things, I remembered just how much I loved being a counselor! Getting to connect with kids, and as they come back year after year, having the chance to invest in them and watch them grow up is such an incredible experience, and really such a privilege.

As a 16 or 17 year old counselor, I don't think I had any idea that I would still be running into my campers after I had graduated from college, or that I'd have the chance to watch some of my campers grow up over 6 or 7 years... but I'm so glad that I've had that experience! It has really made me realize that so much of the power of camp comes from investing in people.

Investing in people--that is the thing about camp that changes lives. Whether you are investing in campers or camp staff, the things that they will remember in 5, 10, and 15 years aren't going to be the activities--it's going to be the people that took the time to invest in them. Not only that, taking the time to invest in others can (and will) change your life!

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is so much fun! I love finding other camp people and reading about their experiences. I have a favorite camper :) (And yes, I know you're not supposed to, but it happens!) and she is now married and has a baby. But way back when I was 16 and a new counselor, she was one of the 10-year-olds in my group. Funny how you have no idea at the time that these little munchkins you are in charge of will be part of your life forever.

    ReplyDelete