4.22.2009

Some things never change!

This afternoon, I found the last few names to complete the list of Kanata directors.  Just filling in those empty years with names makes me feel like we have a better hold on our history.  Looking through old annual reports today to find those names, I found all kinds of other fascinating information.  In 1956, the daily camp schedule was incredibly similar to how our schedule is now, over 50 years later.  Many of the camp activities were the same activities we offer now.  

While there are clearly many differences in camp from the 1950s til now, I think it is amazing that there are some things that have remained just the same.  We have been changing lives in much the same fashion for over 50 years, and I think that is something we can be very proud of.  We talk all the time both about the community of camp, and the importance of being involved in the community around us, and today I read a newspaper article from 1954 that said:  "The camp became a community effort when businessmen joined hands with construction leaders, laborers and others to complete the project, including a nine-acre lake and 13 buildings."  A 1957 article called Kanata a "civic miracle".  

How great that from the very beginning, community was such an integral part of Kanata.  I love the fact that the community joined together to help us get started, and I love the fact that 55 years later, community is still a main focus of ours.  It is a tradition to be proud of.  

No comments:

Post a Comment