4.13.2009

Patchwork

Every summer, on the last night of camp, it is a tradition for our staff to paint a block in arts and crafts.  It is one of my favorite places at camp, because in that one building at camp, there is so much history.  I can look around and see names of counselors from when I was a camper, names of past co-workers, and even names from before I was born. Each summer, as a new group of staff searches for a place to paint their name, and the returning counselors add another few numbers next to their name, arts and crafts reflects the changing story of camp.  It is always being added to and each summer, a little bit of each staff member's personality is added to the walls.  

I love looking around arts and crafts, and seeing all of the different personalities of our staff come out.  Different blocks remind me of different summers and different friends, but when I look at the patchwork of painting on the wall, I am mostly reminded of how camp brings together so many different people.  Many people who have influenced my life in huge ways are people that I am sure I never would have interacted with outside of camp, but I am so grateful that whether I knew them for a summer or more, they are a piece of the patchwork that makes up my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment