4.15.2009

What a privilege...

One of the things that has been so great about staying around camp for a number of years is that I have had the privilege of watching a lot of our campers grow up.  There are kids that were in my cabin when I was a staff trainee that have been on staff for several summers now and campers that are in our staff trainee program that I have known since they were six.  

Most of the kids I think of as "my" campers are kids I had in my cabin when they were six or seven and are in middle school now.  Every summer, I half-expect to see kids that look exactly the same as they did the summer before, but every year, I am shocked to see how grown up they have gotten over the past year.  On one hand, it makes me feel a little bit old, but on the other hand, it is really such a privilege to watch these campers grow and change from year to year.

There is one particular group of girls that I had in my cabin for two summers, who are always a highlight of my summer.  These girls are just the ideal campers--they love camp, are well-behaved, are excited about every activity, and despite the fact that they always come in a group, they are so inclusive of other girls.

This past summer, they were in a cabin with a two girls who were only able to attend camp through the outreach program at one of our YMCAs.  These two girls didn't speak great English, didn't have all the brand name clothes, and really just came from a different world than the rest of their cabin.  Middle school girls are famous for ostracizing others and making life difficult for those who don't quite fit in, so, being that age, there was definite potential for disaster.

I have never been more proud of a group of girls than I was this summer when I saw how inclusive and friendly my girls were with these two girls who so easily could have been outsiders.  All week long, their cabin traveled in a pack.  Where you found one of them, you found them all, and they were all having a blast.  They were the most inclusive and compassionate group of girls I have ever known, and consistently amazed me with their concern for others, as well as their excitement for every aspect of camp.

Watching these girls grow up over the past five years has been such a privilege, and I can't wait to see what they are like five years down the road!


No comments:

Post a Comment