12.11.2009

Best Christmas present ever?

Earlier this week, a mom called the office asking for some camp DVDs to be sent to her--she wanted to wrap them up and give them to her kids for Christmas, so they could see what she was really getting them: a week at camp. The more I thought about that, the more I decided it very well might be one of the best Christmas presents ever. I don't remember a whole lot of specific Christmas gifts from my childhood, but I do clearly remember and cherish my camp experiences growing up.

It's easy for Christmas to turn into another giant spending occasion. Kids love getting toys and presents. But toys break, they grow out of clothes, and things go out of style. While through the years, there are memorable gifts here and there, I love the idea of giving an experience for Christmas.

Giving a session of camp gives the recipient something to look forward to beyond Christmas. Watching the camp DVD, looking at the website and brochures gives them something tangible to plan for and anticipate. It gives the opportunity to try new things, make new friends, build their character, and spend time learning and growing. It's more than just something to add to your collection of stuff--it is a memory to be made!

No comments:

Post a Comment