12.21.2009

Because of Camp

I was recently watching the "Because of Camp" PSA that the American Camp Association made...


So I started thinking about my "because of camp"...

Because of camp... I've gained self-confidence. I've developed my leadership skills. I've learned to think on my feet and solve problems creatively. I've met amazing campers, staff members, and friends--and my life has been changed by knowing them. I've had the opportunity to work with people from various countries. I've learned time management skills and group management skills. I've had the opportunity to try things outside of my comfort zone and expand my skill set.

The first summer I worked at camp, I was a very shy, very easily intimidated, 16 year old. Outside of my cabin, I barely talked. Fast forward a few summers, and I was supervising the girls side of camp. I led campers and counselors in cheers and songs, planned staff training, dealt with issues ranging from homesickness to discipline to counselors not getting along to parent complaints, evaluated staff, and made decisions with confidence. Without camp and the experiences I've had there, I would be much more shy and much less confident today. Because of camp, I was able to get hands-on leadership experience that served me really well throughout college, and has prepared me for the future.

Because of camp, I've been able to spend amazing summer after amazing summer playing outside, building relationships with peers and campers, learning about myself and others. I've been exposed to people and ideas I otherwise wouldn't have encountered. I have developed an interest and passion in the way nature affects development in children, and our quality of life.

Because of camp, I have become the person I am today.

2 comments:

  1. Because of camp, I learned to ride Miss Muppet, a teeny tiny timid horse. Because of camp, I traded Miss Muppet for Midnight, a huge fast horse... Because of camp I'm stronger, braver, and love to sleep outdoors and watch the stars march across the sky... Because of camp, I now work for a camp, making sure the opportunities exist for the next generation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had a life changing time at camp. I'd never gone to camp as a child and then I thought I should work at one, YMCA Camp Surf, the summer after my first year of college. I entered as a shy and self conscious counselor and boy did that change! I truly learned to love myself and embrace everything I didn't like. It freed me and has enabled me to do all that I've wanted in life so far and its definitely because of camp. Because of camp, I've dedicated my life to youth development and creating positive opportunities for that in the lives of children.-Betsy Strohmaier, Director Altogether Outdoors & Mountain Day Camp, Colorado

    ReplyDelete