12.15.2009

Embracing the Freedom of Camp

I was on a bus with some of our staff trainees the other day, and something one of the girls said caught my attention. They were talking about camp, and how they don't have time to think about putting on makeup or what outfit to wear, and one of the girls said "but you know, it's actually really great to not have to worry about any of that stuff at camp."

Now, I'm somewhat of a girly-girl. My favorite color is pink, and while I don't wear makeup very often, you are much more likely to see me in a skirt or dress than jeans. I love to shop, and thoroughly enjoy a reason to get dressed up. But I am a huge fan of the fact that camp is a place where girls don't have to worry about what they are wearing or whether or not to wear makeup. In fact, when I was a counselor, every Monday we would let our campers (the youngest girls) do what we called "Makeover Monday." It isn't your typical makeover--the campers have free rein with giving the counselors makeovers, and it usually resulted in me looking something like this:



Then we let the girls show off our makeovers at lunch. I even occasionally had to make a trip to Target with lipstick on my cheeks, eyeliner on my forehead, and eyeshadow in various colors covering my entire face. I have plenty of pictures tagged on Facebook with me either covered in ridiculous makeup, wearing a ridiculous outfit (the '80s outfits are my personal favorites), or covered in some concoction from messy games--chocolate syrup, sprinkles, who knows what else. I am definitely a huge fan of the fact that camp is a place where girls can have fun, be ridiculous and silly, and not worry about what they look like--and despite my usual girliness, I fully embrace that aspect of camp!

Normally once girls get to camp, they also embrace that aspect--whether they are staff, trainees or campers. But I thought it was really cool to hear a 15 or 16 year old girl reflecting on that in the middle of winter. Right in the middle of school, when what you wear and how you look is a really big deal. Right at that age when what everyone else thinks of you can make or break your day. Sitting there with her makeup on and her straightened hair, talking about how she likes that camp gives her the freedom to be herself and not worry about any of that stuff.

I'm not against the wearing of makeup. But I'm for the idea that camp is a place of freedom where "cool" can be redefined, and society's standards aren't the end all and be all. Wear eyeliner on your nose. Or don't wear it at all. Wear old clothes. Wear crazy outfits. Rock out the one piece bathing suit and crazy tan lines. Figure out who you are, and have the freedom to embrace it!


No comments:

Post a Comment